News Columns & Blogs

Cause unclear for house fire that displaced 10 on George Road

A spark from either a dirt bike or electrical wiring likely led to a fire that destroyed a century-old house and displaced a large family west of Deming, according to fire investigators.

However, the official cause remains undetermined.

Eight people escaped the two-story house early Monday, Dec. 22, before flames consumed the George family home at 6401 George Road, about five miles south of Everson. ( Read the full story on the fire here.)

Flames spread from a nearby detached garage to the house. Three puppies died in the garage. Though fire investigators so far haven’t been able to figure out the exact cause, they’ve come up with a couple of likely scenarios: a spark from a dirt bike that had been used within hours of the fire and parked near combustible material in the garage; or an electrical problem in the garage, said Mitch Nolze, of the county fire marshal’s office.

Total damage is estimated at $50,000.

The community has donated clothes, money and necessities to help the family — Jeff Sr., Debbie, their children and grandchildren — as they get back on their feet. A total of ten people lived at the house; two grandchildren had been sleeping elsewhere that night.

For updates on how to help, visit this page on Facebook, or donate to the George Family Housefire Fund on gofundme.com.

Eventually, the family hopes to rebuild their home on the same land.

  Comments