News Columns & Blogs

Woman treated for smoke inhalation after mattress fire in downtown Bellingham

An off-duty firefighter extinguished a fire in a second-story business Wednesday afternoon, Nov. 12, in downtown Bellingham.

Firefighters were called at 2:47 p.m. to the upper floor of 1424 Cornwall Ave., an “unnamed” studio business above Pure Bliss Desserts, when a passerby spotted dark smoke coming from a window, said Bellingham Fire Battalion Chief Andy Day. That witness happened to be an off-duty firefighter from Bellevue.

It took more than one fire extinguisher for the man to put out a mattress burning near the southwestern wall of the studio, Day said. By the time firefighters arrived the burned mattress had been thrown into an alley below. Five minutes later the fire crew had the lingering smoke and heat under control.

A man and a woman had been inside. The woman was taken to St. Joseph hospital by private car to be checked for smoke inhalation. There was smoke damage throughout the unit.

No details about the fire’s cause had been released Wednesday.

Seventeen firefighters, three fire engines, a ladder truck and an aid rig responded to the scene.

  Comments