2014 Top finishers
WHAT’S NEW IN 2015
Mount Baker Highway will be closed at 7:30 a.m. at Canyon Creek Road in Glacier, going east toward the mountain. Any viewers, participants or additional support vehicles that want to go to the top of the mountain must pass Canyon Creek Road before then. The road also will be closed westbound at 7:30 a.m. at Mt. Baker Ski Area’s Heather Meadows Day Lodge. No vehicles will be allowed to travel down the mountain before it reopens, which is expected to be around 9:30 a.m. this year with one fewer leg.
TIPS FOR THE RACE
• Because the course is mostly downhill, a good tip might be to take some Ibuprofen the day before and on the day of the race to help deal with any pain during and after the race.
• It’s best to wear traditional running garb (tank top, shorts or warmer running gear, if the weather warrants). Remember, the temperature will change as runners descend and the sun rises higher in the sky.
• You might want to put some cloth under the tongues of your shoes to help prevent blisters. Tie your shoes tightly.
• Some people have raced in their lighter racing flats. That might make them faster, but doing so will beat up a runner’s legs. Veteran competitors recommend regular running shoes.
• Many competitors dunk their legs in the cold water runoff in the canal by the Shuksan Department of Transportation shed or in the nearby river. They say it helps them recover from the race quicker.