The Bellingham Herald
The Paper: The Bellingham Herald is the most widely read newspaper and news website in Whatcom County, reaching more than 57,000 local readers through the Bellingham Herald and BellinghamHerald.com each day. Our product can be found across several platforms including print, desktop and mobile sites, iPhone and Droid applications, and an E-edition.
We believe we have a responsibility to our readers and advertisers to make our products a reflection of this incredible place we call home. We are proud to produce news and information that creates discussion and dialogue in our community, and provides advertising solutions for local businesses. We are committed to partnering with local organizations that share our vision of making Whatcom County a better place to live through education, the arts, and community support networks.
Have a comment for the Bellingham Herald? Contact the online editor at email@example.com or click here for a complete list of contacts.
Coverage Area: Whatcom County, Washington, the most Northwestern County in the United States. Whatcom County comprises the towns of Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden, Birch Bay, Blaine, Custer, Sumas, Nooksack, Everson, Deming, Glacier, Kendall, Acme, Van Zandt, Bow, Alger as well as other settlements and communities.
Products: We are proud to publish The Bellingham Herald and BellinghamHerald.com, Whatcom Magazine, dealsaver.com, Take 5, and are partners with Yahoo!, Cars.com, CareerBuilder, HomeFinder.com and more.
Circulation: 16,297 daily; 19,871 Sunday (Alliance for Audited Media, Sept. 2014)
Circulation area: Home delivery is available throughout most parts of Whatcom County. The few exceptions are east of the town of Glacier and south of Alger and Larrabee State Park, as well as Point Roberts, a peninsula accessible only though British Columbia, Canada.
Average Web Traffic:
• Page Views: 4.3 million monthly (2014 average, Omniture)
• Unique Visitors: 636,000 monthly (2014 average, Omniture)
Community Contributions: Exceeding $25,000 a year in cash and in-kind donations in 2014.
Founded: The tri-weekly Fairhaven Herald began publishing in 1890. 1903, the cities around the bay (Sehome, Whatcom and Fairhaven) consolidated into the city of Bellingham. It was at this time that the paper first used the name "The Bellingham Herald." The Herald operation endured three moves before settling at its present location in 1926 at the then-newly constructed "Herald Building." The building is now a Bellingham landmark. The lengthy ownership of Sidney Albert "Sam" Perkins and his heirs, begun in 1911, continued until 1967 when the family sold The Herald to Federated Publications. In 1971 Federated Publications merged with Gannett Co., Inc. In May, 1997, The Herald made a successful conversion to a morning paper, continuing enhancements in format and extended local news coverage. McClatchy purchased The Bellingham Herald in June 2006 from Knight Ridder, which had purchased the company from Gannett in 2005.
Mark Owings, President & Publisher
Julie Shirley, Executive Editor
Rusty Dodge, Advertising and Marketing Director