Seattle Mariners

Montero returns to the big leagues

Seattle Mariners starting pitcher Felix Hernandez throws to a Los Angeles Angels batter during the fourth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, July 9, 2015, in Seattle.
Seattle Mariners starting pitcher Felix Hernandez throws to a Los Angeles Angels batter during the fourth inning of a baseball game, Thursday, July 9, 2015, in Seattle. AP

The numbers that first baseman Jesus Montero put up at Triple-A Tacoma finally become too much for the Seattle Mariners to ignore.

The Mariners recalled Montero, 25, after optioning pitcher J.A. Happ to the Rainiers in a series of roster moves prior to Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Angels.

The move required Happ’s approval because of his service time. But he started Wednesday against Detroit and was not slotted for another outing until after the All-Star break.

Montero is leading the Pacific Coast League with 115 hits, 57 runs, 68 RBIs, 180 total bases, 84 games and 340 at-bats. He is also third in the league with a .332 batting average.

“It means a lot,” he admitted. “It means hard work pays off. It’s been really good. It was hard, but I’m happy to be here. I just want to have fun up here, too.”

The Mariners also placed left-handed reliever Charlie Furbush on the 15-disabled list because of biceps tendinitis and optioned rookie right-hander reliever Mayckol Guiape to Tacoma.

Lefty swingman Vidal Nuno and right-handed reliever Danny Farquhar were recalled from Tacoma as replacements.

The decision to recall Montero represents another major step in his career resurrection.

Viewed as one of the game’s top prospects when acquired in January 2012 from the Yankees, Montero endured a series of injuries and suspensions over the past few years.

His season ended last year when he was suspended in August after an on-field confrontation with one of the club’s scouts.

With his career teetering, Montero underwent a strict offseason conditioning regimen and lost 45 pounds. He then quickly re-established his credentials this year at Tacoma.

“I turned the page,” he said earlier this year. “I turned everything (over) to the Mariners.

“I put all of my love, all of my sweat — every second, every minute, every hour — into spending time here with the organization. Just working to get better every single day.”

Montero’s delayed return to the big leagues stemmed in large part to the Mariners being overloaded at designated hitter and first base. Even now, it’s not clear how much he’ll play.

“I’m sure he’ll see time against left-handers,” manager Lloyd McClendon said. “I’m told he’s gotten better (at first base) but, more than likely, he’ll probably DH.”

Whether Montero can hold onto a roster spot after the break is anyone’s guess. The Mariners will need a fifth starting pitcher and will, presumably, recall Happ shortly after the schedule resumes.

For now, though, Montero can enjoy being back in the big leagues.

“It’s been fun,” he said. “It’s been really good (this year). I just want to hit the ball hard and see what happens.”


Furbush’s injury isn’t believed to be serious, but it caused a shakeup in the club’s relief corps.

“That’s why we’re doing this — so it won’t be serious,” McClendon said. “He’s had it off and on a couple of times. With the All-Star break coming up, it just made sense to get this thing quieted down going into the second half.”

The Mariners also optioned Guaipe back to Tacoma after he absorbed losses in each of his two previous appearances.

The injury to Furbush, 29, creates a major hole in a relief corps that is battling to find consistency. He had a 2.08 ERA this season in 28 appearances and had stranded all 16 of his inherited runners.

“It’s not when I’m pitching that I feel it at all,” he said. “It’s the next day or once I’m done. I just felt that it stiffened up.”

The move comes after Furbush worked around a leadoff double Tuesday in the 11th inning against Detroit by striking out three batters. He got the victory when the Mariners scored in the bottom of the inning.

“I thought I would shake the inflammation out,” Furbush said. “It took a little longer than I thought. We’ll deal with it and move forward. I’m not too concerned.”

Guaipe, 24, departs just five days after his recall from Tacoma. He gave up up four runs in two-plus innings in a pair of losses to Detroit.

The injury to Furbush permitted the Mariners to recall Nuno less than 10 days after he was optioned Saturday to the Rainiers.

Nuno, 27, pitched six innings in Sunday’s start for Tacoma after compiling a 2.53 ERA in nine relief appearances for the Mariners following a June 3 trade that brought him from Arizona.

Farquhar, 28, was a key member of last season’s bullpen before losing his job earlier this year after going 0-3 with a 6.49 ERA in 22 games.

While Farquhar has a 4.58 ERA in 12 games overall at Tacoma, his recent work has been better: three runs in 101/3 innings over his past seven appearances.

“I felt like it all clicked in my second-to-last outing,” he said. “I think I’ve got everything figured out.”


It was 14 years ago Friday — July 10, 2001 — that Safeco Field played host to the All-Star Game. The Mariners had eight players on the AL team.

Four Mariners started: outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, second baseman Bret Boone, first baseman John Olerud and designated hitter Edgar Martinez.

Also selected: outfielder Mike Cameron and three pitchers: Freddy Garcia, Jeff Nelson and Kazuhiro Sasaki.

The AL won, 4-1, in front of a crowd of 47,364, with Garcia getting the victory and Sasaki the save.


FRIDAY: L.A. Angels (LHP Hector Santiago 5-4, 2.40 ERA) at Seattle (LHP Mike Montgomery 4-2, 1.62 ERA), 7:10 p.m.