High School Soccer

5 goals in 2nd half lift Sehome in state tourney

After trailing 2-1 at halftime, Sehome scored five straight goals to knock off Ridgefield 6-2 in a Class 2A State Tournament match on Saturday, May 21.

Sehome was lucky to avoid being down only one at the end of the first half as Ridgefield had multiple chances that it couldn’t convert on. The Mariners’ first goal came on a penalty kick from Jack Willis after he was sandwiched in the box. Ridgefield also scored on a penalty kick just before halftime.

At halftime, coach John Sylvester decided that in order to get back in the game the Mariners needed to turn up the pressure.

“We figured their coach was going to tell them if they get one more goal, it’s over,” Sylvester said. “So we decided to take advantage of that and push them offensively.”

Sophomore Danny Fazio got the ball rolling early in the second half with a run that earned a corner kick which Willis eventually slotted home for his second goal that tied the game 2-2.

From there, four different Sehome players utilized their speed and favorable matchups to put together a dominant second half. Fazio netted a ball in the 62nd minute which was followed by goals from Ben Holroyd and Charlie Lahud.

“We had them spinning around like tops in the back,” Sylvester said. “We kept throwing punches and kept changing players.”

Turning point

Rathkamp’s free kick goal 11 minutes into the second half from about 25 yards away pushed the Mariners out in front 3-2 and confirmed that Sehome had taken control.

Once he saw Ridgefield’s wall form, Rathkamp said he could see that the far post was waiting for the ball.

“Their goalie was cheating towards the far post but Charlie was blocking his view,” Rathkamp said. “I knew the goalie was going to get out of that space and all I had to do was find the net.”

Sylvester’s yellow card

Sylvester earned a yellow card at the end of the first half after a penalty kick was awarded to Ridgefield.

A foul was called near the penalty box line and Sylvester thought it was clearly outside of the box. Sylvester said it was just a misunderstanding.

“I was trying to point to the spot where I thought the foul occurred,” Sylvester said. “For the record, that’s my first yellow card ever.”

What’s next

Sehome will play Archbishop Murphy in a 6 p.m. state semifinal Friday, May 27 at Sunset Chev Stadium in Sumner.