Nooksack Valley junior cheerleader Anna Nolden, who was injured during a routine during the girls’ basketball team’s bi-district winner-to-state game on Saturday, Feb. 20, was treated and released to her mother on Saturday, according to Pioneers athletic director Tom Harmon.
Nolden fell to the ground as she was being lowered from a lift during a timeout in Saturday’s game. Harmon said Monday, Feb. 22, he wasn’t sure of the cause of the accident, but that Nolden fell from only a “few inches above the floor, not two or three feet or even shoulder height.”
Harmon said that Nolden’s feet hit the floor first, followed by “in kind of a slow motion fall” her shoulders and head.
“Mountlake Terrace did a great job of caring for her and taking the necessary precautions,” Harmon said in a phone interview. “Our cheer coach (Shannon Edwards) did a good job of following up with her and keeping the parents informed until they arrived.”
Paramedics immobilized Nolden and took her from the court on a stretcher, before taking her to an area hospital, where she was checked out and released.
Harmon said Nolden would have a follow appointment with doctors up this week.
“Every indication is she will be fine,” Harmon said.
The Pioneers beat University Prep 41-18 to earn a trip to the Class 1A State Tournament, where they will face La Center in a regional round game at 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 27, at Battle Ground High School.
State basketball regional schedule
Friday, Feb. 26
▪ Class 1A girls: Lynden Christian vs. Charles Wright (at Mount Vernon), 8 p.m.
▪ Class 2A boys: Squalicum vs. River Ridge (at Puyallup), 8 p.m.
Saturday Feb. 27
▪ Class 1A boys: Lynden Christian vs. Zillah (at Yakima Eisenhower), 2 p.m.
▪ Class 1B boys: Lummi vs. Sunnyside Christian (at Sunnyside), 2 p.m.
▪ Class 1A girls: Nooksack Valley vs. La Center (at Battle Ground), 4 p.m.
▪ Class 2A boys: Lynden vs. Liberty (at Renton), 4 p.m.
▪ Class 2A girls: Lynden vs. Liberty (at Renton), 6 p.m.