1. Burlington-Edison (previous rank: 1): This is a team that will not only secure the NWC title barring any upsets, but has a chance to win a Class 2A state title as well.
2. Lynden Christian (previous rank: 2): Kim Grycel knows the rigors of the postseason, especially in District 1, so she has to be pleased with the Lyncs’ performance against Sehome.
3. Ferndale (previous rank: 3): The Golden Eagles’ two losses came to likely state semifinalists. Are they headed for the same fate at Class 3A? Time will tell.
4. Sehome (previous rank: 5): After the 3-1 loss to LC, Kristy White said her team was back to playing “Sehome volleyball.” That loss might prove to be instrumental.
5. Anacortes (previous rank: 4): The Seahawks are a strong team but with only three teams getting out of districts this year, they’ll need to make something special happen.
6. Bellingham (previous rank: 7): With wins over Lynden and Sedro-Woolley last week, the Red Raiders bolstered their playoff hopes, but they’re right on the edge.
7. Squalicum (previous rank: 6): The Storm can thank its early-season win over Bellingham for its inside track to the playoffs. Two wins in the last three would be a big help.
8. Nooksack Valley (previous rank: 8): State might be a bit of reach considering the district’s talent, but three wins in the last four has given the Pioneers reason for optimism.
9. Lynden (previous rank: 9): For the second straight year, it looks like the Lions postseason hopes were doomed by key losses late -- this time to Bellingham.
10. Meridian (previous rank: 10): Stealing a set or two here and there is what these 1A teams can hope for against bigger schools and the Trojans got one against Squalicum.
11. Blaine (previous rank: 11): Blaine also picked up a set last week in a 3-1 loss to Anacortes. The schedule is pretty rough from here on out, however.
12. Sedro-Woolley (previous rank: 12): The Cubs took it to five sets against the athletic Pioneers. That’s the third time they’ve done that this season.
13. Mount Baker (previous rank: 13): In only her second season, Paige Huttula will now have to work on the rebuilding project.