1. Lynden Christian (previous rank: 1): Kara Bajema and the Lyncs fended off two tough opponents last week but fellow undefeated Burlington-Edison is on the slate next week.
2. Burlington-Edison (previous rank: 2): The Tigers have dropped only one set this season and can get the inside track to the Northwest Conference title with a win over the Lyncs Tuesday.
3. Ferndale (previous rank: 4): Sweeping the defending NWC champs is no small feat and the Golden Eagles looked mighty strong doing it. This is what they want to look like come postseason.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
4. Sehome (previous rank: 3): Something has to change for the Mariners. They had no offense in the loss to Ferndale, their second time being swept in a week’s time.
5. Lynden (previous rank: 5): Julie Clift’s squad has been extremely competitive with the best in the conference, but they have to be wary of slipping up — they went to five sets against Sedro-Woolley.
6. Anacortes (previous rank: 6): As the team right in the middle, the Seahawks seem to beat the teams they should and lose to the teams that are just a little bit better.
7. Squalicum (previous rank: 7): The Storm sits fourth in the NWC standings and second among Class 2A teams. That leaves Squalicum in great position to qualify for the postseason.
8. Bellingham (previous rank: 8): Losing to Squalicum may come back to bite the Red Raiders, but this is a scrappy team who has eyes on more than just making districts.
9. Nooksack Valley (previous rank: 11): A sweep against the only 1A opponent the Pioneers have played so far bodes well for Katie Emmons’ athletic bunch.
10. Meridian (previous rank: 9): At 3-2, the Trojans aren’t in a bad place, but the next seven games are against higher classifications. That’s a tough road for Shannon Claeys and her team.
11. Blaine (previous rank: 10): A very winnable game against Meridian slipped away so winning the next two (Bellingham and Mount Baker) are essential for this team’s playoff hopes.
12. Sedro-Woolley (previous rank: 12): The Cubs could be better than the record suggests. They almost topped Lynden in a five-setter. The next three games should test this team’s mettle.
13. Mount Baker (previous rank: 13): The Mountaineers have yet to win a set, getting swept in all five matches so far. Two NWC powerhouses are up next. The road can only get easier after that.