City of Bellingham approves six-figure payout to settle water main damage claim
A water main that broke twice last year and damaged an Edgemoor home on both occasions cost the city of Bellingham a six-figure payout last month.
City Council members voted unanimously during their March 23 meeting to pay $425,000 to the owners of a house on Bayside Road, resolving a claim that could have evolved into a lawsuit. Councilman Michael Lilliquist was absent.
Money to pay the claim will come from the city’s water fund, city of Bellingham Communications and Community Relations Director Melissa Morin told The Bellingham Herald.
“The interior of the home, including the kitchen, main living area and basement, sustained significant water damage, requiring replacement of flooring and kitchen cabinetry. Exterior damage included landscaping as well as loss of a sloped embankment behind the home,” Morin said in an email.
The first incident happened Nov. 5 and was blamed on an aging pipe, Public Works Department spokeswoman Torhil Ramsay told The Herald. The second break was Dec. 11, a day after a record 2.28 inches of rain fell in Bellingham in a series of storms that caused widespread flooding on the Nooksack River.
“This (Dec. 11) break was also related to the aging pipe and was likely influenced by significant rainfall at the time,” Ramsay said in an email. “One additional home in the area experienced flooding, but we do not currently have any outstanding claims on record associated with this incident. A larger section of water main along Bayside Road has been added to our list of priority replacements for the near future.”