An electrical malfunction caused the fire that ripped through a house at 6814 Woodlyn Road east of Ferndale on Thursday afternoon, March 24, Whatcom County Fire Marshal Mitch Nolze said Friday.
No one was injured in the fire, but the home was left uninhabitable, Nolze said.
An electrical problem in a second-story bedroom caused the fire, Nolze added, but investigators could not determine exactly what malfunctioned. Scene examination, along with interviews with firefighters and the homeowner, helped investigators rule out any other causes, Nolze said.
The initial call about the fire came from a woman driving down Pole Road, which intersects with Woodlyn Road just south of the home. Crews from North Whatcom and Fire District 7 put the fire out within about a half hour.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Most of the damage to the home was on the second floor, caused from smoke and water, Nolze said.
Crews were called back to the home on Friday morning when the homeowner reported seeing smoke from a drawer in a piece of furniture, said Fire District 7 Chief Gary Russell. Firefighters found a pile of clothes smoldering inside the drawer; they were removed and extinguished.