Crime

Fire destroys machine shop near Everson

Firefighters work at the fire that destroyed a machine shop early Sunday morning near Everson.
Firefighters work at the fire that destroyed a machine shop early Sunday morning near Everson. Courtesy to The Bellingham Herald

Fire started by fireworks destroyed a machine shop in the Everson area early Sunday, July 5, but firefighters were able to save a nearby barn and home.

Chief Mel Blankers of Whatcom County Fire District 1 said several members of his all-volunteer fire department were staffing a station because of the hot, dry weather and provided a quick response to the fire at 278 Reed Lane, near Blair Drive.

When firefighters arrived about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, the machine shop was engulfed in flames, so crews worked to keep the neighboring rental home and barn from catching fire too.

“Fortunately, the firefighters were right there, and we were able to save that old barn,” Blankers said.

Blankers said the heritage barn suffered some exterior damage and some antique farm implements inside the 30-foot by 40-foot machine shop were destroyed. He didn’t have a cost estimate. No injuries were reported.

Efforts of some 30 firefighters were required, including three engine companies and a water tender from District 1, and engines, tenders and an ambulance from Lynden Fire and North Whatcom Fire & Rescue. Tenders supplied water in the rural area not served by fire hydrants.

Reach Robert Mittendorf at 360-756-2805 or robert.mittendorf@bellinghamherald.com. He is a volunteer firefighter with South Whatcom Fire Authority.

  Comments