Candidates running for state Superintendent for Public Instruction will participate Wednesday, May 25, in a public forum.
The forum is scheduled for 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Bellingham High School, 2020 Cornwall Ave.
The Superintendent for Public Instruction oversees the state’s 295 K-12 public school districts, which includes more than 1 million students.
Western Washington University’s Woodring College of Education, Bellingham Public Schools and the League of Women Voters of Washington Education Fund are hosting the forum. League members will moderate the event, asking questions about the office’s role and current education issues.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Bellingham Herald
Candidates will also take questions from the audience for the last 30 minutes of the forum.
Expected to attend:
▪ Robin Fleming, state Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction’s administrator for health programs.
▪ Ron Higgins, teacher and retired engineer from West Richland.
▪ Erin Jones, Tacoma Public Schools administrator.
▪ Chris Reykdal, state representative, 22nd Legislative District.
▪ Larry Seaquist, U.S. Navy veteran and former state representative.
▪ David Spring, parent and teacher from North Bend.
Current Superintendent for Public Instruction Randy Dorn has announced he will not seek re-election.