Local

Fire from faulty wood stove destroys home on Lummi Reservation

A malfunctioning wood stove caused a fire that ripped through a double-wide mobile home around noon Sunday, May 1, ruining the home.

First responders, dispatched just before noon, arrived at 2516 MacKenzie Road to find the house engulfed and could not immediately enter the home to fight the fire from the inside, said Rob Kintzele, assistant chief with the Bellingham Fire Department.

Two people were inside the house when the fire broke out but were able to escape, Kintzele said, adding that one person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Flames and smoke at one point came through the roof, a portion of which eventually collapsed, Kintzele said. Crews eventually were able to enter the home and put the fire out.

Mitch Nolze, an investigator with the Whatcom County Fire Marshal’s Office, said a wood stove that was either improperly installed or maintained caused the fire. The house is a complete loss, Nolze said.

One person had been living inside the home, Kintzele said.

Kyle Mittan

  Comments