Local

Herbicide accidentally spread to Ferndale school playground

City officials are warning residents that children at Eagleridge Elementary School may have come in contact with an herbicide after a city worker accidentally allowed the chemical to spread to the school’s playground, the city said Friday.

The worker was applying the herbicide around the water tank at Bender Park on Friday, the city said on its website.

The herbicide is granular and used for killing weeds. The chemical is an irritant if handled, but can be toxic if swallowed. Any parents who believe their child may have swallowed the herbicide should call a poison control expert at 1-800-222-1222.

The city is reviewing its policies to prevent similar mistakes, officials said, and workers are removing the herbicide from areas where it wasn’t meant to be applied.

Kyle Mittan

  Comments