People can hear from and speak to women who hold office or are running for office at a brunch Saturday, April 2.
The brunch, open to the public, is hosted by the Whatcom County Democratic Women’s Club. It will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Northwood Hall, 3240 Northwest Ave. in Bellingham.
The club is part of the National Federation of Democratic Women, a national organization that supports Democratic women as candidates, said Denise Marshall, president of the local club.
“A lot of women find it daunting to run for office,” Marshall said. “What we try to do is educate them, encourage them to run, and elect them.”
People who go to the brunch will get to mingle with and hear a panel discussion from:
▪ Bellingham Mayor Kelli Linville, re-elected in 2015.
▪ State Rep. Kris Lytton, 40th District, running for re-election this year.
▪ State Sen. Karen Fraser, running for lieutenant governor.
▪ Tina Podlodowski, running for secretary of state.
▪ Erin Jones, running for superintendent of public instruction.
▪ Pat McCarthy, running for state auditor.
▪ Karen Porterfield, running for public lands commissioner.
“For those who are engaged and wish to meet candidates directly, this brunch is the ideal venue,” Marshall said in a news release. “It is a pleasant, stimulating and effective way to get a close-up of key candidates who will have a profound effect on our lives if elected.”
More information can be found at wcdwc.org. Some tickets may be available at the door for $25.