Fire authorities haven’t been able to figure out what caused a fire that left a Bellingham family homeless Thursday, Sept. 17.
The fire appears to have started in the living room of 3009 Coolidge Drive, but more forensic tests would be needed to figure out the exact cause, said Bellingham Fire Marshal Jason Napier.
The residents had come home for dinner in the late afternoon Thursday, then headed out to watch a football game. Neighbors noticed a flame flickering in the window around 5 p.m. and called 911.
Firefighters knocked down the flames within about a half hour. No one was home, and no one was hurt.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The structure itself appears to be salvageable, but there’s extensive smoke and heat damage throughout the home, Napier said. Firefighters gave a rough damage estimate of about $70,000, about half the total value of the house itself.
An electrical problem — a faulty lamp, wire or electronic — hasn’t been ruled out as a possible cause, Napier said. It appears to be an accidental fire, he added.