Whatcom County seniors who have problems doing their grocery shopping on foot, but have access to a computer, will soon have a new option for buying food.
The Fred Meyer store on Bakerview Road will offer online grocery shopping starting this spring, possibly by the end of May. The Fred Meyer on Lakeway Drive should have it available by this summer, according to the company.
Here’s how it will work:
▪ Go to Fred Meyer’s ClickList website, fredmeyer.com/onlineshopping, to register and order groceries.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Bellingham Herald
You can browse a “favorites” section, which lists items you buy on a regular basis. You can also put in specific requests for items, such as fruits and vegetables, for example specifying how ripe you want your bananas. Products like ice cream will remain in a freezer until you arrive to pick up the order.
▪ You, or someone on your behalf, pay for and pick up your groceries during a one-hour time slot chosen for the next day. As the system settles into place, the stores hope to offer same-day pickup. A store worker will bring the items to your car.
▪ The online shopping fee will be $4.95 per order, with the fee waived on the first three orders.
▪ There are a limited number of reservations for each time period, which will be 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. When you place an order, the website will tell you which time slots are available.
▪ On busy days, like the day before Thanksgiving, Fred Meyer will provide extra staff for online orders. You can reserve your slot early and still add to the order the closer you get to the pickup date.
▪ You will be sent a reminder email to pick up your order.