Once again, here’s the annual list of Whatcom County farms that offer U-pick and we-pick summer produce.
The bounty of summertime produce is one of the great things about living in the Pacific Northwest. If you have the time and the energy, it’s even more fun (for city-slickers, anyway) to get out in the field and pick your own dinner or dessert.
Seasonal changes are almost a given for local farms, so call ahead or check websites to see if produce is ready before you venture out.
Farms are in Bellingham unless noted.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
For a list of farms outside of Whatcom County, and for more details in our area, go to smallfarms.wsu.edu to search for a farm and crop locator, hosted by Washington State University’s Small Farms Team. Or go to sustainableconnections.org for more information about farms, restaurants, grocery stores and other businesses that support local growers.
Copies of the annual Whatcom Food & Farm Finder are available at Bellingham Farmers Market and other locations.
Where: 7655 Melody Lane, Ferndale
When: Fresh strawberries available now, U-pick Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Sunday 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Raspberries July, blueberries late July, blackberries late July. All berries available frozen year-round.
▪ Stand locations: At the farm, Raspberry Ridge Golf Course and Fairway shopping Center, Lynden.
Bellingham Country Gardens
Where: 2838 E. Kelly Road
When: June through October, Wednesdays and Saturdays 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and by appointment.
U-pick, no-spray strawberries, raspberries and vegetables, Everbearing strawberries available all summer, raspberries June and July. Tomatoes, beans, corn, tatsoi and potatoes.
Where: 6140 Guide Meridian
When: Open year round for farm, cafe, distillery and art gallery; U-pick apples begin mid-August through October. Pumpkins will be ready Oct. 1.
▪ U-pick hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., with 21 varieties of apples. U-pick begins with Gravenstein, then Tsugaru, Honeycrisp, Orins, Sonatas, Fuji and Jonagold. Other varieties may be available for U-pick depending on the season. Pumpkin patch offers a large variety of pumpkins in all shapes and sizes.
Boxx Berry Farm
Where: 6211 Northwest Road, Ferndale
When: Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m., 10 a.m.-4 p.m. now through September. U-pick June through Aug. 20. Open Saturday only during winter with frozen berries.
U-pick or we-pick strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and flowers. Homemade pies, jams and syrups are available. A variety of vegetables also are grown: carrots, potatoes, corn, onions, garlic, cucumbers, and dill.
Where: 3595 Breckenridge Road, Everson
When: Open mid-July through end of August, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily.
▪ U-pick and we-pick organic blueberries.
Cascade Blueberry Farm
Where: 2667 Willeys Lake Road, Custer
When: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., daily, through October. Blueberries ready in August.
▪ U-pick blueberries, we-pick vegetables and flowers.
Contact: 360-366-5188 and on Facebook
Cloud Mountain Farm Center
Where: 6906 Goodwin Road, Everson
When: Through June: Monday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. July through October: Wednesday-Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 1-24: Wednesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
▪ Organic vegetables available at Bellingham Farmers Market and on-site farm stand: tomatoes, basil, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, cucumbers, peppers, squash, scallions, fennel, beets, Daikon radish, kale, Napa cabbage, lettuce, spinach, eggplant and Romanesca cauliflower. Non-organic vegetables at Bellingham Farmers Market and on-site stand: apples, grapes, blueberries, cherries, quince, Aronia berries, pears, hardy kiwi, gooseberries, plums, Asian pears, raspberries, currants and peaches.
Generations Blueberry Farm
Where: 2298 Stickney Island Road, Everson
When: Mid-July to late August, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday.
▪ Non-spray blueberries; call to place big orders.
Contact: 360-966-2600, on Facebook
Grandpa’s Blueberry Farm
Where: 9222 Benson Road, Lynden
When: Open mid-July to early to mid-August, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
▪ U-pick or we-pick; call ahead for fresh and available Duke berries.
Contact: 354-4547 or 360-224-4414, on Facebook, firstname.lastname@example.org
Where: 577 E. Pole Road, Lynden
When: Opening July 1, runs for six weeks, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
▪ Raspberries and blueberries.
Kamm Creek Farm
Where: 850 Hampton Road, Lynden
When: July 1-Oct. 31, Monday-Saturday 10 a.m.-6 p.m; Call or see webpage for U-pick hours.
▪ Raspberries, blueberries, currants, corn, pumpkins, vegetables.
Where: End of 1792 Bradley Road, Lynden
When: July 15 through September, Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
▪ Early, mid, and late season blueberry varieties.
Contact: 360-319-8481, on Facebook
Koskela Blueberry Farm
Where: 943 Piper Road, Ferndale
When: July 20-Aug. 25, Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
▪ U-pick and fresh market.
Mount Baker Berry Farm
Where: 5384 Strand Road, Deming
When: July 2 through September: Saturday and Sunday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
▪ Organic U-pick blueberries.
▪ U-pick no-spray strawberries, 6010 Siper Road, Everson, open now dawn to dusk.
▪ U-pick no-spray raspberries and blackberries, 3957 Mount Baker Highway, Everson, July 1, dawn to dusk.
▪ U-pick no-spray blueberries, 7845 Noon Road, Lynden, July 1, dawn to dusk.
All three of these locations are self-serve, so please bring money or check to make your own change.
Where: 4405 Deming Road, Everson
When: Open first week of July, through Oct. 1, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
▪ Fresh and frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, also sweet corn and cut flowers; limited U-pick on blueberries only.