Community Sports

Warriors stay undefeated

The second-ever Warrior Night lived up to its name. It was without a doubt the Bellingham Warriors lacrosse team’s night.

The Warriors’ offense was firing on all cylinders, as they got hat tricks from four different players on their way to a 14-8 win over Snohomish on Friday, April 17, at Civic Stadium.

“Really good team play, fundamental defense, good ground balls,” coach Tyler Farrar said of his team. “They did all the little things correctly.”

It kept the Warriors an undefeated 5-0 in league play this season, as Snohomish fell to 3-3 in front of a crowd of a couple hundred fans dressed in gold and black to support the growing Bellingham program.

“It was very nice,” Farrar said of what it was like to play in front of the fans.

But Snohomish didn’t make it easy for the dominant Bellingham team.

After the Warriors took a 5-2 halftime lead, Snohomish rallied back in the third period, finding the net six times in the first eight minutes.

The last came courtesy of Miles Russon, as he ran the distance of the field before putting it past Bellingham goalie Dakota Turgeon to make it 7-7.

But it was all Warriors from there.

Just moments later Zack Lorenz scored his third goal of the night, as he wrapped around the back of the goal, dodged a stick and fired it in.

A dangerous pass across the goal mouth from Adam Estrada to Jack Zerba made it 9-7 before the end of the third and gave Zerba his third of the night.

Nine seconds into the fourth period, Nathaniel Heritage made it 10-7 with his rocket shot from distance before Estrada scored his third goal just seconds later.

While Bellingham was whittling away the fourth quarter with a large advantage, the goal of the night came courtesy of Heritage.

Heritage cut in front of the net, received a pass from his teammate and instantaneously flipped it over his head. It somehow found the netting to make it 12-8 halfway through the fourth.

John Banuelos finished with one goal, Estrada finished with three, Heritage with four, Lorenz with three and Zerba with three.

The star of the night, however, was arguably face-off specialist Garrett Sorenson, who won just about every matchup at the line, giving Bellingham its fair share of possession throughout the penalty-ridden game.

There were few moments with both teams staffing a full squad on the field due to the flags thrown by officials and it resulted in a lot of action in front of the goals, as each team navigated its time with a man down — or sometimes two.

Snohomish was the first team to capitalize on the man advantage, going up 1-0 five minutes in off a goal from the left wing courtesy of Ian O’Hearne, who took a pass from the middle and fired a close-range shot past Turgeon.

But Zerba equalized just a few minutes later, as he sidestepped a defender near the goal post and weaved back into the center before taking his chance.

Another Zerba goal just before the end of the first made it 2-1 and Bellingham never trailed after that.

Snohomish did draw even early in the second, as Mason Lichfield was the benefactor of a Bellingham penalty when he found the gap in the middle of the defense and scored.

Bellingham scored three unanswered goals to end the half with a 5-2 lead.

The Warriors will take on Kamiak next Friday, April 28, in Mukilteo, as they hope to continue the undefeated league season.