A 10-year-old Enumclaw boy injured in an explosion Friday remained in critical condition Sunday at Harborview Medical Center, and a 9-year-old boy also injured was released, the hospital said Saturday.
“As of this morning he is opening his eyes and responding to Mom and Dad,” Mt. Rainier Christian Center posted about the 10-year-old Sunday on its Facebook page. “He was very happy to see his brothers last night. The doctors and nurses are optimistic that he is responding well to treatment. Infection is a big concern.”
Burns covered 85 percent of his body, firefighters said. The church said he’s expected to be in the hospital for four to six weeks.
Apparently the boys, who are friends, were using gasoline to start a campfire, and the fumes and possibly the can exploded, authorities said.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
No one else was hurt.