A 10-year-old boy suffered burns to 85 percent of his body Friday after an explosion near Enumclaw, firefighters said.
A 9-year-old boy also was burned over about 8 percent of his body.
Both boys, who reportedly are best friends, were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle for treatment, the older boy by helicopter and the younger by ground ambulance, said Randy Fehr, chief of King County Fire District 28.
The explosion occurred about 4:30 p.m. outside a house in the 24900 block of Southeast 433rd Street, Fehr said.
Firefighters were alerted to the blast by a neighbor, who heard the explosion and called 911.
It appeared the boys were using gasoline to try to start a campfire and that the fumes and possibly the gas can exploded, authorities said. No adults were present, Fehr said, and no one else was hurt.
Arson investigators from the King County Sheriff’s Office were called in to determine the exact cause of the blast.