KENDALL — What started as a chimney fire led to $10,000 to $20,000 in damage to a mobile home's roof Tuesday afternoon, April 1, in the Paradise area.
Flames spread to the roof of the home around 1:45 p.m. in the 6300 block of Blackfoot Place, said Fire District 14 Chief Jerry DeBruin.
Here's the news feed as it happened from @bhamcrime.
Scanner: Structure fire on Blackfoot Place in the Paradise area.— Bellingham Crime (@bhamcrime) April 1, 2014
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Scanner: "Sounds like this started as a chimney fire and then took off on the roof." And it's now a house fire. "Possibly animals inside."— Bellingham Crime (@bhamcrime) April 1, 2014
All of the cats and dogs made it outside OK.
Scanner: "Got heavy smoke showing. Initiating Blackfoot command." (Photo of the house via county assessor's office.) pic.twitter.com/PYaIHyAKyI— Bellingham Crime (@bhamcrime) April 1, 2014
Scanner: Homeowner interfering with the fire-extinguishing on Blackfoot. Sheriff's deputies en route.— Bellingham Crime (@bhamcrime) April 1, 2014
Deputies were called to keep the peace because the residents, a husband and wife, weren't happy that firefighters had to cut into the roof to put extinguish lingering flames and heat, DeBruin said.
After repairs the home should be livable.
Firefighters found a lot of buildup in the chimney. If you have a home with a wood furnace, DeBruin said, it's a good idea to clean out the creososte starting in the fall, especially if you're using damp firewood.
View Larger Map