News Columns & Blogs

Small chimney fire causes minor damage to Whatcom County home

Firefighters helped put out a small chimney fire that spread to the roof of a home in the 4200 block of Linnell Road just before noon Saturday, March 1.

Before fire personnel arrived, the lone resident, an older woman, sprayed the fire with a garden hose with the help of a man who was near the home, which is located about a mile east of Everybody's Store, District 16 Chief Elvin Kalsbeek said. The two had mostly controlled the fire by the time firefighters arrived.

No one was injured.

It appeared a hot fire in the stove spread to the roof through a "really old" chimney pipe, Kalsbeek said.

Four rigs responded to the scene, which was first reported as a more serious structure fire, Kalsbeek said. It turned out most of that help was not needed.

"We made sure (the fire) was out and put a tarp over the hole in the roof," Kalsbeek said.

The damage was relatively minor: Kalsbeek estimated it might take about $1,500 to patch the roof.

  Comments