News Columns & Blogs

Lynden condo fire displaces elderly couple

Lynden firefighters walk up stairs to inspect an apartment after a fire, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014 at 1680 Liberty St. in Lynden.
Lynden firefighters walk up stairs to inspect an apartment after a fire, Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014 at 1680 Liberty St. in Lynden. THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

LYNDEN — A forgotten pot on a stove caused a fire that displaced an elderly couple from their condo Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 15, said Lynden Fire Chief Gary Baar.

Around noon a woman living at 1680 Liberty St. put a pot on the stove and left to talk with her husband, Baar said. It wasn't immediately clear how long she was gone.

Neighbors reported thick, dark smoke coming from the eaves of a top-floor unit at 12:44 p.m. The condo building has six residences.

"So we were thinking we'd be looking for new homes for six families," Baar said.

But firefighters found the source of the fire within 11 minutes of dispatch. Flames had spread into the cabinets and attic space, causing smoke, heat and flame damage, mostly to the kitchen.

No one was harmed. Still, the home will need basic repairs before it's livable again. So the couple planned to spend the night elsewhere. Family in the area had offered to help, Baar said.

A unit below took no water damage, firefighters said.

An exact damage estimate wasn't available, but it's expected to be several thousand dollars.



View Larger Map
  Comments