News Columns & Blogs

Neighbors break window, help woman from smoky Bellingham apartment

BELLINGHAM — Neighbors broke out a window to help an elderly woman whose apartment filled with smoke from a pan on the stove Friday night, Nov. 22, according to the Bellingham Fire Department.

"It may have been an overreaction on their part," Bellingham Fire Chief Roger Christensen said. "(Firefighters) spent more time sweeping up the glass than clearing the smoke."

When firefighters arrived in the 1400 block of Lincoln Street, there was no fire and everyone from the building was outside, including the woman, Christensen said.

Firefighters ventilated smoke and swept up broken glass at the apartment, and estimated about $200 in damage, Christensen said.

No one needed medical aid.

  Comments