Oregon fugitive accused in shooting caught at Canadian border

A man linked to a crime spree that ended in the shooting of a police officer and his police dog in Portland, Ore., was arrested while trying to escape into Canada on March 19.

Jemaell Diamond Riley, 26, brandished a knife toward Canadian authorities who stopped him at the Peace Arch border crossing last week, the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office announced Tuesday, March 24.

Riley and his 20-year-old girlfriend, Carli Anja Marshall, were detained and turned over to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Riley cut off his ankle monitoring bracelet on March 18, a day before his arrest at the border, according to the Portland Police Bureau. Police immediately issued a felony warrant for his arrest.

He and two other suspects were arrested in April 2014 after one of Riley’s crime partners shot at a Portland police officer and his police dog, killing the dog and wounding the officer. Riley was not the shooter, but he was armed at the time, police say.

Detectives believed the three suspects were involved in multiple robberies and burglaries leading up to the shooting.

Riley had more than a dozen warrants out for his arrest in Multnomah County. They include first-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit murder (two counts), felony eluding of a police officer, unlawful entry into a motor vehicle (four counts), first-degree theft, first-degree robbery and first-degree felony kidnapping.

Riley — 5-foot-11, 160 pounds — attempted to escape from his handcuffs as Whatcom County Sheriff’s deputies transported him to Whatcom County Jail. He thwarted deputies’ attempts to secure him in additional restraints, according to the sheriff’s office.

Marshall, from Portland, had warrants out for three counts of hindering prosecution in Multnomah County.

“This case serves as another example of the very dangerous and violent criminals who attempt to cross the international border to evade justice,” said Whatcom County Sheriff Bill Elfo.

Riley remains in jail in lieu of $2 million bail and has not waived extradition. Marshall was released from jail on Saturday, March 21, after posting $15,000 bail.