Police: Ferndale man stabs wife, arrested for attempted murder

A Ferndale man faces an attempted murder charge for stabbing his wife in the chest Friday, March 6, at their apartment on Third Avenue, according to police.

Charles Hendricks Foster, 64, called police from the second-story apartment around 2:15 p.m. to say he wanted to kill his wife, said Ferndale Police Lt. Bill Hatchett. Over the phone Foster said he had already punched his wife in the face, and he kept telling the dispatcher to “shut up,” according to police.

Five minutes later officers met Foster outside his home. He said he had stabbed his wife, according to police. Officers aren’t sure if he did it before or after the phone call.

The woman, 58, hadn’t called 911. Paramedics rushed her to St. Joseph hospital with life-threatening injuries. She had “at least one” stab wound to the right side of her chest. She was talking, breathing and conscious when paramedics loaded her into the ambulance.

Foster was mad at her, he told police, because he wanted to give up alcohol but she didn’t. So he blamed her for his ongoing drinking problem. He looked very intoxicated Friday afternoon, Hatchett said.

Police arrested Foster on suspicion of attempted murder in the second degree. He was “very cooperative” with police, Hatchett said. The knife hadn’t been recovered Friday, because police were waiting to obtain a warrant to search the home.

Foster and his wife had been married for about a year. They moved from Tacoma to Ferndale about two weeks ago.

In April 2013, Foster faced felony assault charges for allegedly aiming a handgun at one of his housemates on Ninth Street in Tacoma. She was moving her belongings out of the home. Foster wanted her out right away, so he tried to evict her at gunpoint, according to charging papers.

Three months later, Foster pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of assault in the fourth degree. He received a suspended sentence of one year in county jail. However, he violated his probation — by not showing up for court hearings and not paying fines — and had to serve some of that time behind bars, a total of about a week.