Crime

Man sets fire to car while trying to use camp stove

A car burst into flames Monday, Dec. 23, when a man attempted to use a camp stove inside the vehicle, firefighters said.

Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion on the 700 block of Cornwall Avenue around 10:30 p.m. Monday, Assistant Fire Chief Bill Hewett said. The interior of the Ford Explorer was on fire when firefighters arrived, and the flames were put out quickly.

A man in his 50s who was inside the car when the fire started was able to escape with burns to his hands, Hewett said. He was transported to St. Joseph hospital.

The man was living inside the car, Hewett said. Firefighters say a camp stove that was turned on inside the car initially caused the flames.

The loud noise heard by people nearby was most likely the sound of the camp stove’s fuel exploding, Hewett said.

  Comments