A barn was destroyed and some chickens inside perished in a fire south of Bellingham on Monday morning, May 11.
A family lived in a house roughly 20 feet away from the barn at 983 Old Samish Rd., said South Whatcom Fire Authority Battalion Chief Scott Crowe. They woke up around 3 a.m. to a dog barking and saw the flames. They called firefighters, who were able to contain the fire before it could spread to the house. Nobody was injured.
The barn contained a chicken coop. No chickens survived.
The only power inside the barn came from two heat lamps. Crowe said the chickens either knocked over the heat lamps or the lamps fell down into their bedding, igniting the fire.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“There’s just really no way to tell for sure (how it started) because the structure was completely destroyed,” Crowe said.
The chief's name was corrected May 12, 2015.