Local

Nick Kunkel won’t run for Bellingham City Council

It turns out Nick Kunkel, who had planned to run for Bellingham City Council, will not seek that office this year.

Kunkel said he and his fiancee had been searching for their first home and recently settled on one in Sudden Valley, outside the city limits.

“It really is as simple as that,” Kunkel said. “What we wanted to do was stay in Bellingham, but unfortunately we had to take what we could to get our family off on the right foot.”

In February, Kunkel had announced his plans to run for the Ward 5 seat, currently held by Terry Bornemann.

Candidate filing week is May 11 to 15.

  Comments