Local

Fire burns land near Grandview Golf Course 1 hour after man rents property

A grass fire near the edge of Grandview Golf Course burned 1 1/2 acres of land on a property a man agreed to rent an hour earlier.

Firefighters responded to the fire on Portal Way near Arnie Road around 1:45 p.m. Monday, March 9, as it began to move north along the edge of the golf course, said Division Chief Henry Hollander.

The golf course stopped the fire from spreading by acting as a natural barrier, Hollander said. The flames charred power lines along the road but did not burn through them. Two power poles were also burned. The fire was knocked down within half an hour.

Joey Zamudio had signed papers to rent the property —a house and five acres of land — just an hour before the fire. He said landscape workers burned a pile of brush just outside his new home, but the wind picked up the flames and caused the fire to spread.

"It was just an unfortunate accident," Zamudio said. "You've got to have a little humor. I'm glad nobody got hurt."

Hollander said this is the second grass fire he has responded to in the last week, which is unusual for the season. He said grass fires typically show up in August.

"This is very early for us," Hollander said.

  Comments