BELLINGHAM - City Councilwoman Barbara Ryan has her work cut out for her in 2009. But that's the way she wants it.
The council veteran, who will have served 12 years at the end of 2009, offered her services for five council committees during the council's reorganization meeting Monday, Jan. 5 at the Hotel Bellwether. She also will act as the liaison to seven advisory boards and commissions.
It's a stark contrast to 2008, when she served as council president. The council president sits on no committees and has only a few advisory board jobs. Ryan did, however retain her spot on the Whatcom Transportation Board as council president.
Why is she doing it? Because this is her last year, she said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Bellingham Herald
Ryan has decided she won't seek re-election this year and is ready for new things, especially doing a lot more painting.
"Twelve years is long enough," Ryan said. "It's been an absolutely wonderful experience and I love it ... and it's time to do something else."
In terms of her council activity, Ryan sounded surprised when a reporter pointed out all the work she volunteered for.
"I probably overdid it," she said. "I am very interested in my last year of seeing a lot of the things that we've been working on for a long time be completed."
• Here are the assignments of council members (council committees only):
• Finance & Personnel: chairman Gene Knutson, Stan Snapp, Ryan.
• Lake Whatcom Reservoir Committee: chairman Snapp, Knutson, Ryan.
• Parks & Recreation: chairwoman Ryan, Terry Bornemann, Louise Bjornson.
• Planning/Neighborhoods & Community Development: chairman Bornemann, Jack Weiss, Ryan, Bjornson.
• Public Works/Public Safety: chairwoman Bjornson, Snapp, Knutson.
? Transportation Committee: chairman Weiss, Snapp, Ryan.
? Waterfront Development Committee: chairman Weiss, Bornemann, Ryan.
Reach Sam Taylor at email@example.com or call 715-2263. Read his Politics Blog at TheBellinghamHerald.com/blogs.