Happy National Hot Dog Day to you, Whatcom County! A day you you can appreciate, even if you don’t know how to add a filter of a dancing hot dog to your picture or video in Snapchat.
Truth be told, most people probably don’t go out to eat a hot dog, but Humphrey Bogart once said, “A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz.”
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
In honor all the hot dogs without headphones out there, here are some top spots in Bellingham to pick up your dog and celebrate today:
▪ Neiner Neiner Weiner (1259 Barkley Boulevard): A menu full of some different, delicious varieties of hot dogs to celebrate and enough outdoor seating to enjoy the warm temperatures.
▪ Five Guys (1301 W. Bakerview Road): It’s easy to overlook the dogs at this hamburger joint, but Five Guys can dress up a dog any way you want it.
▪ El Capitan’s Gourmet Sausages and Pretzels (1314 Railroad Ave.): Better known for its varieties of sausages, El Capitan’s does offer a “tasty, all-beef sausage” it touts as “Bellingham’s Best!”
▪ The Grill (1155 E. Sunset Drive): Offers six different varieties of dogs, everything from a Chicago Dog to a Corn Dog. And we all know grilled is the way to go.
▪ Boomers Drive-In (310 N. Samish Way): Also known for its burgers, waffle fries and shakes, Boomers has a Stadium Dog and a Corn Dog.
▪ Zane Burger (1315 12th St.): A relative newcomer in Bellingham, Zane Burger offers three varieties of hot dogs: the Smokey Dog, Polish Dog and Coney Dog.
▪ Gandolfo’s New York Deli (107 E. Stuart Road): There may be a debate over whether a hot dog is a sandwich or not (see below), but there’s little debate that New Yorkers know how to dress up a dog.
▪ DQ Grill & Chill (811 Iowa St. and 4170 Cordata Parkway): You’d have to go to the Kid’s Menu to get a plain hot dog, but adults can order a Chilli Cheese Dog. Biggest problem is not eating your desert first.
▪ A&W (1120 Barkley Boulevard): Doesn’t a hot dog and a root beer float sound really good about now?