Whatcom County football fans may be drowning their sorrows on Sunday, Feb. 7, since the Seattle Seahawks won’t be around to cheer on at Super Bowl 50.
But despite their absence, people who want to root for the Carolina Panthers or the Denver Broncos - or just enjoy the Super Bowl for the game, and for its popular ads - have plenty of options in town.
No doubt everyone has their favorite spot to watch the game, but here’s a short list of bars and restaurants that will be offering specials on Sunday as Panthers quarterback Cam Newton and Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning wage their generational battle on the field.
▪ Kulshan Brewing Company’s K2 location, 1532 Kentucky St., will have its Red Cap Red Ale on special for $1 off pints, and everyone who attends will be entered in a drawing for Kulshan swag every time a touchdown or field goal is scored. There will be peanuts and pretzels, and StrEAT Food will be on site for folks to purchase food. Details: 360-389-5348.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Aslan Brewing Co., 1330 N. Forest St., will show the game on their 133-inch projector, viewable from every seat in the house, and they’ll have drink specials. Details: 360-393-4106.
▪ Chuckanut Brewery & Kitchen, 601 W. Holly St., will have an extended happy hour during the game, which means $1 off pints, glasses of wine and cider; and a menu that includes Landjaeger sausage, Wood Stone flatbread and marinara, chicken wings, German beer pretzel sticks, a hummus plate, and chowder in an Avenue Bread bowl, priced from $2.50 to $8. Details: 360-752-3377.
▪ Archer Ale House, 1212 10th St., will open at 1 p.m. and show the game on three TVs, with a full menu and plenty of game-day food, featuring 1/2-pound burgers, ground by Bellingham butcher shop, Carne, plus $4 pints for Farmstrong Brewing Stackin Hay IPA, $5 rotating cocktails and $6 ghost-chili bloody marys. Details: 360-647-7002.
▪ Boundary Bay Brewery, 1107 Railroad Ave., will show the game in the Tap Room as well as on their new TVs in the Bistro, which is open to all ages. Specials include growlers for half-price and a special appetizer menu that includes chicharrones, meatballs, flatbread and bloody mary shrimp. The brewery also offers “Take & Bake Mac & Cheese” to go. Get your order started by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Details: 360-647-5593.
▪ Cap Hansen’s, 209 E. Chestnut St., will have $1 PBR cans and Granny Strong Apple Pie shots for $3, as well as other specials. Details: 360-733-0878.
▪ The Horseshoe Cafe, 113 E. Holly St., will open the Ranch Room with food and drink specials. Details: 360-933-4301.
▪ TCBY Barkley, 3100 Cinema Place, will host an all-ages party, with the game on three TV screens. Details: 360-244-4422.