This weekend, festivals, concerts and other performances abound in Bellingham and Whatcom County.
Here are the main events:
• The Port of Bellingham’s annual Holiday Port Festival begins at noon Friday, Dec. 5, at Bellingham Cruise Terminal, 355 Harris Ave., and continues through Sunday, Dec. 7, with free activities for kids and families, the annual gingerbread contest display, and performances by local musicians and dancers.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Bellingham Herald
A couple of the Holiday Port’s special events this year includes tours of the Alaska ferry MV Malaspina from noon to 5 p.m. Friday only, and tours of the on the tall ship Zodiac from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday only.
The Lighted Boat Parade starts between 5:30 and 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, from Squalicum Harbor and travels to the Bellingham Cruise Terminal. Inclement weather cancels. (Details: byc.org.)
Details: 360-676-2500; portofbellingham.com and search “holiday.”
• Blaine’s Holiday Harbor Lights Festival offers an art market, book sale, horse-drawn carriage rides, caroling, a Christmas-tree lighting and a lighted boat parade. Events begin at 9 a.m. Friday, Dec. 5, and continue through Sunday, Dec. 7.
A Holiday Lights Dash starts at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. To register for the family run or walk, go to letsmoveblaine.org.
Details: 360-332-4544, blainechamber.com.
• Ferndale’s Olde Fashioned Christmas starts at 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, and continue through Sunday, Dec. 7, at Pioneer Park, on Cherry Street. Members of the Ferndale Heritage Society lead tours of the cabins at the park and offer crafts for kids; there’ll be music, refreshments and old-fashioned games. Tickets are $4 adults, $3 kids.
Details: 360- 384-6461, ferndaleheritagesociety.com.
• Lynden’s Christmas activities start with a holiday dessert baking contest at 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 5, at KATZ Coffee and Used Books, 513 Front St.
Other highlights include a performance of Handel’s “Messiah” at 7 p.m. at the Jansen Art Center at 7 p.m. Friday, breakfast with Sinterklaas from 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, at Lynden Community Center, and a “Skate with Santa” from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Lynden Skateway. The Lighted Christmas Parade begins at 6 p.m. Saturday at Fairway Shopping Center and goes along Front Street to downtown.
Details: 360-354-5995, lynden.org.
• Bellingham’s Depot Market Square is the site of a treelighting ceremony as part of the monthly Downtown Art Walk, starting at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, with visits from Santa, live music, refreshments and a pop-up gift market from by Bellingham Farmers Market.
Details: 360-778-8100, downtownbellingham.com.