The regular season is over for all high school sports and the exciting part begins. The 1A girls’ soccer district tournament has already provided plenty of excitement — both Lynden Christian and Meridian had games that went into a shootout. So with the 2A district tournament starting Saturday, what should we expect? Here’s my five predictions for the tournament:
1. Squalicum will lose a game. The Storm is 15-0-1 on the season but this team is far from invincible. The Storm almost lost to Sehome on Thursday, Oct. 23, but two late goals kept the undefeated streak alive. Squalicum also has had its fair share of close battles throughout the season. Both Ferndale and Burlington-Edison provided tough challenges. I still think Squalicum finishes in the top four and advances to state but there are plenty of teams that could upset the heavy favorites.
2. Burlington-Edison will play spoiler once or twice. The Tigers are on a three-game win streak, Edie Breckenridge is on fire and the Tigers’ only losses the past month have been one-score defeats to Bellingham, Squalicum and Ferndale. Not too shabby. If the Tigers knock off Cedarcrest in the first round, don’t be surprised.
3. The Northwest Conference will take all four district 1 spots at state. The NWC has five of the eight teams in the tournament but don’t expect Shorecrest, Cedarcrest or Archbishop Murphy to snag a state berth. Shorecrest is probably the team likely to break up the all-NWC district 1 advance party, but even the Scots haven’t been dominant. The top four NWC teams (Squalicum, Bellingham, Burlington-Edison, Sehome) happen to be really good. It also goes to show how good the city schools were in soccer this year.
Never miss a local story.
4. We will get to witness Kim Hazlett and Edie Breckenridge face off again. There’s a couple possible ways that Squalicum and Burlington-Edison can meet for the third time this season. Both can win their first two games and meet in the championship. The other is if one of the teams loses in the first round and the other team loses in the second round. The first is much more likely and something that would be mighty fun to see.
5. Sehome and Bellingham win their first round games. Sehome drew Shorecrest and Bellingham has Archbishop Murphy. Shorecrest is coming off a 1-0 loss to below-.500 Glacier Peak and Archbishop Murphy is coming off a 3-0 loss to Cedarcrest. Meanwhile, the Mariners and Red Raiders haven’t lost since September. Sehome and Bellingham are both teams to watch in this tournament.