This week was highlighted by Lynden Christian’s 71-58 win over Burlington-Edison. The game was much closer than the score would indicate, showing both teams still deserve their No. 1 rankings in the Class 1A and 2A ranks, respectively.
The Tuesday, Jan. 19, matchup between Lynden and Mount Baker, which are both ranked No. 4 in their respective classifications, should be an entertaining one this week.
1. Lynden Christian (previous rank: 1): Lyncs win over Burlington-Edison on Tuesday, cemented them in the top spot and sets them in prime position to win the NWC crown.
2. Burlington-Edison (previous rank: 2): Tigers, who led midway through the fourth quarter against Lynden Christian, still hold the top spot in the Class 2A ranks.
Never miss a local story.
3. Lynden (previous rank: 3): After a game against Sedro-Woolley, things get much tougher for Lions with consecutive games against Mount Baker, LC, Burlington and Ferndale.
4. Ferndale (previous rank: 5): Golden Eagles got a 55-43 win over Mount Baker on Monday, Jan. 11, and schedule should get a little lighter before difficult finish.
5. Mount Baker (previous rank: 4): Fourth-ranked Mountaineers will find out exactly where they stand in the next five days with games at Burlington and at home against Lynden.
6. Nooksack Valley (previous rank: 6): Pioneers stopped a two-game losing streak with a win over Sedro-Woolley on Tuesday and started a fourth-game home stand on Thursday, Jan. 14.
7. Anacortes (previous rank: 7): Seahawks will find out exactly how good they are on Tuesday, Jan. 19, when they travel to face Class 1A top-ranked Lynden Christian.
8. Meridian (previous rank: 8): Trojans had a three game losing streak entering Thursday, and it could likely grow with games against LC, Ferndale and Burlington coming up.
9. Sedro-Woolley (previous rank: 9): After Friday’s tough test against Lynden, the Cubs will face the three Bellingham city schools in their next three games.
10. Squalicum (previous rank: 12): Improving Storm entered Thursday’s game against Nooksack Valley on a two-game winning streak with wins over Bellingham and Meridian..
11. Sehome (previous rank: 10): Thursday’s game at Ferndale started a three-game road swing for the Mariners. They’ll also play at Sedro-Woolley and Blaine.
12. Blaine (previous rank: 11): Borderites entered Thursday’s game at Anacortes in the midst of a four-game losing streak. Bellingham is up next for Blaine on Tuesday.
13. Bellingham (previous rank: 13): The Red Raiders still are hunting for their first Northwest Conference win and are currently on a fourth-game losing streak.