• UPDATED 3-31-04! The winners of The Bellingham Herald's Student Essay Contest have been announced! You can read the winning essays online
• UPDATED 3-31-04! The online edition of The Bellingham Centennial features old photographs submitted by local residents. See our centennial photo album to view these photographs along with descriptions of each. The photo album will be updated as new photos are received so check back regularly.
Welcome to The Bellingham Herald's centennial online edition.
Anniversaries are times to reflect on the past and to think about the future. We at the Herald hope these stories and pictures provide an informative and enjoyable reflection of Bellingham's history and life in the county in the last 100 years.
We hope you enjoy this broad overview of important moments and trends in the city's development, along with memorable profiles, past and present.
We also hope that the centennial, itself, and this section will spark greater appreciation of local history.
History, in general, provides lessons to be learned and stories to remember. Local history, in particular, provides a homegrown link to our personal and community roots.
Bellingham's centennial will be celebrated this year and next, so there's plenty of time to particpate and learn.
more centennial site features
• Find updates for Bellingham centennnial events
• More information about a special curriculum package
for students and teachers as well as tools for exploring local history
• Once you've read about Bellingham history, take this quiz
to see how much you remember.