Welcome to The Source for Bellingham and Whatcom County news.
home • news • classifieds • entertainment • real estate • cars • jobs • personals • herald services
• directory of services
• subscribe now
• contact us


• weather
• news archive
• world news
• season of the arts
• reunions

• main page
• news
• entertainment
• outdoors
• eTechnology
• classifieds
• real estate
• communities
• cars online
• jobs
• personals

• contact us
• customer service
• subscribe
• advertise
• about us

• feedback form
• submit
  announcement

• submit news
• news archive
• classifieds
• obituaries
• homes & real estate
• new & used cars
• jobs
• personals
 
 centennial Herald Masthead 
  home > news > centennial front > Monday, October 20, 2003 


GOVERNMENT
Higher education rose on Sehome Hill
In 1960, the Junior Chamber of Commerce's annual tour of Bellingham for new Western Washington College students ran into a snag when there was a shortage of cars. Leading the parade of about three dozen cars was this convertible driven by Ralph Gray. Greeting the students was C.W. Bill McDonald, dean of men and faculty advisor to the tour. HERALD PHOTO

In the early days of what is now Western Washington University, Old Main lacked the ivy cloak that only recently was cut down, and overlooked a pond that is now gone. WHATCOM MUSEUM OF HISTORY & ART


century ago, Western Washington University was a small school in a drained marsh atop Sehome Hill, training mostly young women to be teachers in the rustic fishing, logging and farming communities throughout the new state.

Back then it was called New Whatcom State Normal School, and everything from classrooms to the library was housed in Old Main, whose construction had been fueled by the Yukon Gold Rush.

Some students spent just a year at the Normal School - that's all the training they needed to become an elementary school teacher at the turn of the 20th century. Some also took high school-level courses, because there were no high schools in parts of the state.

Local colleges

Bellingham Technical College began in 1911 as an "industrial school" for teen-agers at Whatcom High School.

Whatcom Community College started in 1970 as a "college without a campus," holding classes in empty offices and grocery stores, high schools and rooms at the YMCA.

Both have evolved far beyond their humble beginnings.

The technical college officially became a college in 1991, when the Legislature moved the state's vocational education institutes into the community college system. Today, BTC offers dozens of programs - from accounting to welding technology - to about 3,000 full- and part-time career-starters and career-changers.

And Whatcom Community College has settled into a 52-acre campus of its own on West Kellogg Road, where about 7,400 students attend classes this fall.

-The Bellingham Herald

But as requirements for teachers changed, so did the Normal School's curriculum. By 1926, the school began offering general education courses, which would eventually evolve into academic departments and, later, colleges.

The Normal School itself became a college in 1933, the same year Western Washington's College of Education granted its first bachelor's degrees. By then, the state required all teachers to have at least three years of schooling.

The Great Depression and World War II pummeled the enrollment and finances of the new college. Faculty had to swallow a 25 percent pay cut during the Depression, but likely considered themselves lucky compared to those who had lost their jobs.

And with students going off to war or to work in war-related industries, enrollment dropped to 254 in 1943 - the lowest in decades.

But they all came back after the war, filling residence halls and the military barracks brought on campus to accommodate the veterans and their families who used GI bills to pay for college.

Many of those new students weren't at the college to become teachers. In 1947, Western began granting bachelor of arts degrees outside of education.

Student life at the time was much more constricted for women students than for men. Women who broke the rules of dress, decorum or curfews risked being "campused" - essentially grounded - while men faced no such restrictions.

Those rules loosened up by the late 1950s and early '60s, when Western went through a decade-long expansion in which enrollment tripled by 1969. Fourteen new buildings went up on campus during the '60s, including five new residence halls.

Then, in 1961, Western became known as Western Washington State College.

The '60s marked Western in other ways. Students protesting the Vietnam War held sit-ins, rallies, teach-ins and other events. Campus protesters blocked Interstate 5 for several hours in the days after the shooting deaths of four students at Kent State University.

Meanwhile, new, smaller colleges formed. The interdisciplinarian, free-spirited Fairhaven College and Huxley College of the Environment both began in 1968.

In 1977, Western Washington State College became Western Washington University. By the mid-1980s, Western was becoming a regular entry in regional and national rankings of universities.

- Mary Lane Gallagher

  [an error occurred while processing this directive]
Herald logo
home • news • classifieds • entertainment • real estate • cars • jobs • personals • herald services
Copyright © 2002, The Bellingham Herald. 1155 N. State. St., Bellingham, WA 98225, Phone (360) 676-2600.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service (updated 12/20/2002).