Your Bellingham/Whatcom firefighters’ holiday wish is for all is to have a happy and safe holiday season. By recognizing holiday fire hazards and using a little extra caution, you can help keep your home full of comfort and joy.
The winter months are the peak times for home heating, candle, decoration and Christmas tree fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Stat’s show that two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles. Fireplaces or chimneys are involved in almost two out of five home heating fires.
Candles should be in a sturdy holder and placed on an uncluttered surface. Lit candles should not be placed in windows where a blind or curtain could catch fire. Never leave a lit candle unattended. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
If your home has a fireplace, make sure that you use a sturdy screen and keep kids and pets three feet away. Have your chimney cleaned regularly and dispose of any ashes in a metal container far away from the home.
Never miss a local story.
We understand that the holidays are a hectic time of year for everyone. Please help firefighters keep our community safe from fire this season.
Dave Pethick, Bellingham