This photo, circa 1895, shows the original St. Luke's Hospital building at the foot of Sehome Hill. St. Luke's first opened in 1892 in the unused Grand Central Hotel at Holly and Forest streets but needed a smaller, more affordable space. Bellingham Bay Improvement Co. donated three lots at Chestnut and Jersey streets. Construction began in late 1894, and St. Luke's opened in its new home in January 1895.
This photo, circa 1895, shows the original St. Luke's Hospital building at the foot of Sehome Hill. St. Luke's first opened in 1892 in the unused Grand Central Hotel at Holly and Forest streets but needed a smaller, more affordable space. Bellingham Bay Improvement Co. donated three lots at Chestnut and Jersey streets. Construction began in late 1894, and St. Luke's opened in its new home in January 1895. PHOTO COURTESY OF WHATCOM MUSEUM OF HISTORY & ART
This photo, circa 1895, shows the original St. Luke's Hospital building at the foot of Sehome Hill. St. Luke's first opened in 1892 in the unused Grand Central Hotel at Holly and Forest streets but needed a smaller, more affordable space. Bellingham Bay Improvement Co. donated three lots at Chestnut and Jersey streets. Construction began in late 1894, and St. Luke's opened in its new home in January 1895. PHOTO COURTESY OF WHATCOM MUSEUM OF HISTORY & ART

Local

November 13, 2007 2:00 PM

Milestones: Whatcom's early residents had choice of hospitals

Suggested for you

  Comments  

Editor's Choice Videos