These coal bunkers, located at the south end of what is now the boulevard in Bellingham, were built to store coal awaiting shipment to San Francisco. A short rail line connected the bunkers to a mine that was discovered in 1853 along the waterfront, what is now Railroad Avenue and Myrtle Street. The bunkers were enlarged in 1891 to handle coal from the Blue Canyon mine at the south end of Lake Whatcom.
These coal bunkers, located at the south end of what is now the boulevard in Bellingham, were built to store coal awaiting shipment to San Francisco. A short rail line connected the bunkers to a mine that was discovered in 1853 along the waterfront, what is now Railroad Avenue and Myrtle Street. The bunkers were enlarged in 1891 to handle coal from the Blue Canyon mine at the south end of Lake Whatcom. PHOTO COURTESY OF GALEN BIERY COLLECTION
These coal bunkers, located at the south end of what is now the boulevard in Bellingham, were built to store coal awaiting shipment to San Francisco. A short rail line connected the bunkers to a mine that was discovered in 1853 along the waterfront, what is now Railroad Avenue and Myrtle Street. The bunkers were enlarged in 1891 to handle coal from the Blue Canyon mine at the south end of Lake Whatcom. PHOTO COURTESY OF GALEN BIERY COLLECTION

Mine boss: Edmund C. Fitzhugh

November 07, 2007 9:38 PM