The past few weeks have had a steady stream of restaurant openings in Bellingham.
Here’s a roundup of what’s been happening:
▪ The Horseshoe Cafe is back, refreshed and ready to serve customers again.
The new owners reopened the longtime restaurant on Friday, June 19. Hours are 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
The restaurant at 113 E. Holly St. closed earlier this year as the new owners took over and have spent months attempting to restore “The Shoe” back to what it was in the 1960s.
The new ownership group s a family with strong local ties: Brian Waller, Barb Groen, Kate Groen, Joe Russell and Adam Groen.
▪ On June 8, Jun Bark opened Jun’s Sushi & Bento at 202 E. Holly St., Suite 110, near Bob’s Burgers & Brew. The restaurant offers a variety of sushi rolls, bowls and bento boxes. Examples of what’s on the menu include a Korean dish called bul-ko-ki, a salmon steak bento box and a Japanese dish called unagi don (baked eel) bowl.
The restaurant is open 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., then 4 to 9 p.m. Monday through Saturday, closed Sunday. More details can be found on its Facebook page or by calling 360-306-3584.
▪ Bellingham breakfast place Over Easy is having a grand opening celebration June 26-28. On Friday, June 26, 50 percent of the proceeds will go to the Lighthouse Mission. On Saturday, June 27, the restaurant at 2430 James St., near Trader Joe’s, will host a waffle-eating contest. The company founders, Brad and Aaron May, will be at the restaurant for the grand opening celebration. Details about the restaurant can be found on its Facebook page.
▪ Domino's pizza has a new location in Bellingham.
The pizza company recently moved into Meridian Village at 3930 Meridian St., Suite 102 (near Marshalls and Ross Dress For Less stores), officially opening on June 1. The restaurant was previously at 1301 E. Sunset Drive.
The restaurant opens at 10 a.m. every day, closing at midnight Sunday through Thursday, staying open an hour later on Friday and Saturday. The Meridian Street Domino's delivers in the north part of Bellingham up to East Smith Road. The Sehome Village Domino's delivers in the south part of town below Alabama Street.
▪ Express Teriyaki Japan and Thai Go & Noodle are going into the Food Court at Bellis Fair. Express Teriyaki is expected to open at the end of summer, while Thai Go should be ready by October.
Restaurant Update runs monthly in Take Five. Have an update on a Whatcom County restaurant? Send questions or tips to email@example.com or call 360-715-2269.