Teens with fireworks start blaze in Sumas barn


SUMAS - Teenagers playing with fireworks caused a barn to catch fire Monday, June 30, according to Chief Jerry DeBruin of Whatcom County Fire District 14.

The teens had been shooting fireworks in the area when a firework shot into the wood rafters of a bunker silo-style barn in the 3800 block of Kneuman Road. The firework ignited insulation and the barn began to burn around 6 p.m.

DeBruin said that no one was hurt in the fire, and that equipment inside the barn had not been damaged. The barn sustained some damage.

"Please be careful with fireworks," DeBruin said. "This is just an example of how things can go amiss and fires get started."

Reach Matthew Thompson at 360-715-2249 or matthew.thompson@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service