The Washington State Patrol has issued a $1 million warrant for the driver charged with causing a crash near Sedro-Woolley last month that killed a Bellingham woman.
Alfredo Navarro III, 19, of Mount Vernon, was released last weekend from Seattles Harborview Medical Center, where he was recovering from injuries suffered in the crash. Navarro has a broken right arm and leg and was wearing a neck brace when he was released.
"We were not expecting him to be released that early," said Trooper Mark Francis. "When a detective went to check on him Monday morning, he was gone."
Navarro was charged Monday with three counts of vehicular homicide and another charge of vehicular assault, for another man injured in the accident. The state patrol released a photo of Navarro, but Francis said his hair is now more closely cropped than it appears in the photograph.
According to a state patrol report, Navarro's eastbound Audi A4 crossed the center line around 5:10 a.m. May 23, on Highway 20 near Minkler Road, just east of Sedro-Woolley. Troopers suspect the car had been speeding when it slammed into a Ford Fusion driven by Frederick A. Brand, 65, of Concrete, according to troopers. Brand died that morning.
The Audi flipped into a ditch on the north side of the highway. Two passengers inside Megan L. Brown, 21, of Bellingham, and Nicole A. Washington, 23, of Sedro-Woolley died at the scene.
Beer cans were found in the Audi, Francis said. Navarros blood was drawn after the crash but test results have not been given to state patrol yet.
Anyone who witnessed the crash or saw the cars shortly beforehand is asked to contact Detective Scott Witman of the state patrol's Criminal Investigation Division at 360-654-1204.