SANDY POINT - Two people are without a home after their generator caught fire and burned down the travel trailer they were living in early Wednesday, May 21, according to fire officials.
A 24-foot travel trailer in the 3700 block of Cyprus Way went up in flames shortly after 1 a.m., when firefighters from Fire District 17 responded with help from an engine from District 8.
The trailer was fully engulfed and the man and woman who lived there were safe at a neighbor's house when firefighters showed up.
The man told firefighters the blaze started when he was attempting to start the home's generator after filling it with gas, District 17 Chief Jim Petrie said. When he tried to start the generator with a pull cord, it wouldn't work, so he took off the spark plug cap to see if that was working. When he pulled the cord again, a spark ignited the gas fumes. The fire quickly spread to the wood porch the generator had been sitting on and to the travel trailer.
Volunteers from the Mt. Baker chapter of the American Red Cross provided the couple with hotel accommodations and other assistance. This is the fifth house fire that local Red Cross volunteers have responded to in the past few days.