Two homeless after fire destroys Sandy Point travel trailer

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDMay 21, 2014 

SANDY POINT - Two people are without a home after their generator caught fire and burned down the travel trailer they were living in early Wednesday, May 21, according to fire officials.

A 24-foot travel trailer in the 3700 block of Cyprus Way went up in flames shortly after 1 a.m., when firefighters from Fire District 17 responded with help from an engine from District 8.

The trailer was fully engulfed and the man and woman who lived there were safe at a neighbor's house when firefighters showed up.

The man told firefighters the blaze started when he was attempting to start the home's generator after filling it with gas, District 17 Chief Jim Petrie said. When he tried to start the generator with a pull cord, it wouldn't work, so he took off the spark plug cap to see if that was working. When he pulled the cord again, a spark ignited the gas fumes. The fire quickly spread to the wood porch the generator had been sitting on and to the travel trailer.

Volunteers from the Mt. Baker chapter of the American Red Cross provided the couple with hotel accommodations and other assistance. This is the fifth house fire that local Red Cross volunteers have responded to in the past few days.

Reach Zoe Fraley at zoe.fraley@bellinghamherald.com or 360-756-2803. Read the Dispatcher Blog at bellinghamherald.com/dispatcher-blog or get updates on Twitter at @bhamcrime.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service