Whatcom County residents can opt out of herbicide spraying


Property owners in unincorporated Whatcom County who don't want the county to spray herbicide on the road shoulder where their land is next to a county right of way need to sign an agreement.

The county is scheduled to treat about 250 miles of roads this year. Lawns and yard areas may have a minimum 12-inch wide strip treated to aid drainage and minimize pavement damage, according to Whatcom County Public Works.

Property owners who don't want the treatment and agree to maintain the right of way need to sign a document and receive "owner will maintain" signs from the county Maintenance and Operations office, 901 W. Smith Road.

The office can handle the request between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays. There is no charge.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service