UW’s Stringfellow charged with assault; no charges for Miles

Staff writerApril 3, 2014 

Damore'ea Stringfellow, wide receiver on the University of Washington football team in practice at Husky Stadium, August 7, 2013.

PETER HALEY — Staff photographer

Damore’ea Stringfellow, a wide receiver for the Washington Huskies, was charged Thursday with two counts of fourth-degree assault and one count of third-degree malicious mischief in connection with a pair of incidents that occurred on the evening of Feb. 2 in the University District.

Each of the charges is a gross misdemeanor. Stringfellow is scheduled to be arraigned April 16 in King County District Court. The King County Prosecutor’s Office also announced that no charges will be filed against third-year sophomore quarterback Cyler Miles – who was also connected to the altercations – due to insufficient evidence.

Miles and Stringfellow remain indefinitely suspended from the UW football team. Neither has participated in spring practice, and coach Chris Petersen said Tuesday there has been no change to the status of either player. Miles attended UW’s pro day Wednesday as a spectator.

According to charging documents, Stringfellow and Miles were seen near the site of burning couches and mattresses at the corner of 19th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 47th Street – in the Greek Row neighborhood – following the Seattle Seahawks’ victory over the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl. Miles was wearing a Broncos beanie and Stringfellow was seen “shoving a Broncos hat or beanie into the faces of celebrating Seahawks fans,” according to charging documents.

After an unknown man took Stringfellow’s hat and threw it “either on the ground or toward the fire,” the man and Stringfellow began fighting. Bystanders stepped in to separate the two, and a woman — named as one of the assault victims in the charging documents — snapped “multiple pictures” of the aftermath of the fight, though charging documents claim she didn’t know exactly what she was photographing.

Upon realizing the woman had photographed him, according to the documents, Stringfellow reached aggressively for the woman’s camera. Witness statements varied in regards to the nature of the struggle, with some saying the woman was “shaken around violently” and others saying she was “moved around a little bit.”

Stringfellow allegedly hit the woman in the head during the struggle, and she passed out, though charging documents note that she had not been feeling well and it’s not known if she passed out due to contact from Stringfellow or from her illness.

The lens of the woman’s camera “either broke off or came loose in Stringfellow’s hand,” according to charging documents, then he threw it toward the fire. Stringfellow and Miles left as the woman was carried to a fraternity house.

The malicious mischief charge stems from the alleged damage to the camera, which was rented by the woman from the UW.

Less than an hour later, a man identified as the second assault victim was walking with his girlfriend in the 2300 block of Northeast 55th Street. Miles and Stringfellow got out of a car parked on the south side of the street and approached the man and his girlfriend.

According to charging documents, one of the players asked if the man and his girlfriend were Seahawks fans. The man replied, “Yeah, of course, are you Broncos fans?” and added “tough night to be a Broncos fan” when Stringfellow replied yes.

The man and his girlfriend tried to walk past Miles and Stringfellow, according to charging documents, but Stringfellow blocked the man’s path and stood close to him. When the man lifted his hands “in front of and close to his chest,” Stringfellow, who said he felt threatened, pushed the man into a hedge, according to charging documents.

When the man pushed back, Stringfellow began punching him, “striking him at least once in the lower jaw.” The man tried to run away toward an apartment building, but Stringfellow and Miles both chased him, and Stringfellow again punched him, this time in the head and cheek, according to charging documents.

An unknown female yelled from the car for Miles and Stringfellow to get back in, which they did, and the car left the scene as people from nearby apartments began coming outside to see what was going on.

The man told police he couldn’t recall if anything else was said by either player. He sustained a black eye and cut lip, along with scrapes on his elbows, according to charging documents.

Both the man and his girlfriend told police that Stringfellow was the primary aggressor and that Miles was backing him up and acting aggressively, too, but, according to charging documents, “neither could state with any certainty that Miles actually struck (the man) during the assault.”

Stringfellow, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound sophomore from Perris, Calif., caught 20 passes for 259 yards and a touchdown as a freshman in 2013, and prior to his suspension was thought to be among UW’s most promising young players.

Miles, a 6-4, 217-pound redshirt sophomore from Centennial, Colo., spent last season as UW’s backup quarterback and was presumed by many to be the frontrunner for the starting job in 2014.

Miles was 37-for 61 passing last season for 418 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions, and was a coveted recruit with several scholarship offers from Pac-12 Conference schools and other major-conference programs.


Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service